This Easy Low Carb Egg Roll in a Bowl combines all the goodies of egg rolls without the carbs from the egg roll skin or the fat from the deep frying. It is paleo and keto diet friendly. You will be surprised at how awesome this tastes and how unbelievably simple it is.
Boy Christmas is over and New Years is right on the horizon. I think I have snacked on a little too many Christmas cookies. Even my fat pants are feeling quite tight these days. I think it is time to switch it up with some more nutritious recipes! With the New Year comes a little bit more healthy eating and carb watching. You can whip this easy low carb Egg Roll in a Bowl recipe in fifteen minutes or less and it tastes just as good if not better than something you spent an hour on.
How do you make Egg Roll in a Bowl?
Start by browning your pork sausage. Feel free to substitute ground pork if you prefer. Cook the pork sausage until it is almost completely browned. Now add the onions, carrots, ginger, garlic powder and Chinese five spice. Cook for 2-3 minutes stirring several times. Remove from the skillet, place in a bowl and cover to keep warm.
Now add a tablespoon oil to the skillet over medium heat. Add the cabbage and cook until slightly wilted. Now add everything back to the skillet and heat for several minutes. For best results serve promptly.
Helpful tips for making Egg Roll in a Bowl
- Use unflavored or lightly seasoned pork sausage. We love Bob Evans Naturally.
- Ground pork, ground turkey or ground chicken can be substituted for the pork sausage.
- Cut your carrots and onions thin. Finely shred your cabbage so it cooks quickly and evenly.
- Chinese five spice can be found in the spice section of most high end grocery stores. It is also available though amazon.
- This dish is best served immediately while the vegetables are still slightly crisp tender and pork is warm.
More cabbage recipes you will love!!
- Savory Bacon Cabbage and Noodles
- Cabbage and Sausage Foil Packs
- Traditional Irish Colcannon Potatoes and Cabbage
- Cabbage Roll Soup
This post was originally published December 31, 2017 and was republished April 17, 2020 with new content.Print
Egg Roll Bowl
This low carb pork egg roll bowl has all the best parts of an egg roll without the added guilt of deep frying! Tender cabbage tossed with seasoned pork sausage.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Salad
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Asian
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3/4 lb bulk pork sausage
- 1 medium sweet onion cut in half and thinly sliced in half moon
- 2 large carrots cut in thin matchsticks
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger or ginger paste
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8–1/4 teaspoon Chinese five spice
- 1 medium head green cabbage finely shredded
- Add 1/2 tablespoon oil over medium heat to large heavy skillet or wok. Cook pork sausage until almost completely browned. Add onion, carrots, ginger, garlic powder and Chinese five spice (see notes) the last 2 minutes of cooking. Remove from skillet and plate.
- If necessary add 1 tablespoon oil to skillet. Add the cabbage and cook until just starting to wilt, about 2-4 minutes; stirring several times. Add the sausage mixture back to the skillet. Stir and heat for 1-2 minutes. Serve immediately.
Chinese Five Spice is delicious but I suggest that you add a little at a time till your taste buds say it is just right.
You can add a little soy sauce to this recipe but I find it more delicious and flavorful without it.
Keywords: pork egg roll bowl, egg roll bowl, cabbage egg roll bowl