This crowd loving French Onion Dip is made with sweet caramelized onions, sour cream, mayonnaise and a few easy pantry spices. Once you taste all the delicious onion flavor in this easy dip you will never go back to store bought onion dip.
Calling all you sweet onion lovers. This dip is going to knock your socks off. This is one of our family’s favorite dips and a caramelized onion lovers dream come true. I love to serve this dip along Bacon Ranch Cheese Ball, Baked Shrimp Toast and Warm Bean Dip at our family reunions, neighborhood gatherings and potlucks. With these easy delicious recipes you just can’t go wrong!
Tips for making French Onion Dip
- Sweet Vidalia Onions are amazing in this recipe however I have used yellow and white onions with good results when that is what I have in my pantry.
- The onions need to be slow cooked and caramelized to a deep golden brown as this gives the dip its delectable deep onion flavor.
- Use the full fat sour cream and mayonnaise because it gives a rich full flavor without fillers. Look for a real egg based mayo like Dukes. Boy I just love that brand.
- This dip is even better after sitting overnight (in the refrigerator of course). Then take it out and let it warm up for about 30 minutes. Give it a good stir before serving.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container for up to five days
What do you serve with French Onion Dip?
- Of course plain, ruffled or kettle cooked potato chips
- Crostini, bread sticks, pretzel sticks or crackers
- Sliced cucumbers, celery sticks, carrot sticks, broccoli or cauliflower chunks
- Snack foods like Cheez Its, Doritos, Fritos, Cheetos or Sun Chips.
This dip is flavorful, easy, dependable and always a hit. Put the ingredients on your shopping list today and wow you family and friends. They will be singing your praises over and over again.
French Onion Dip
Calling all onion lovers. This delicious and easy caramelized French Onion Dip is perfect for all your entertaining. Serve with cut celery, cut carrots, sliced cucumbers, chips, crostini or pretzel sticks.
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 30
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- Category: appetizer
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: American
- 1 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large Vidalia Onions finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh chopped chives or Italian parsley
- Melt butter and heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium low heat. Add the onions, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper. Cook over low heat stirring every 3-4 minutes until the onions are a rich brown color; approximately 30-40 minutes. Allow to cool.
- Mix together the sour cream and mayonnaise. Fold in the cooled onions. Top with chopped chives or chopped parsley.
Keywords: french onion dip, homemade french onion dip, how to make french onion dip