This quick and easy Instant Pot Chili combines crisp bacon, browned ground beef, onions, garlic, kidney beans, and a perfect blend of spices into one of the easiest mouthwatering chilis ever. You won’t believe how incredibly great this less than 40-minute chili tastes. It is one of our favorite chili recipes and one I make quite often. Spoon into bowls and top with your favorite fixings.
How to make Instant Pot Chili
First, turn the pressure cooker to sauté mode and add just a thin coating of vegetable oil to the bottom of the pot. Once hot add the bacon and cook until the bacon is crispy. Add the ground beef cooking until it is about halfway browned breaking it up with a spatula or spoon as it cooks. Once the beef is halfway browned add the onion and continue cooking until the beef is browned and the onion is soft. Turn the instant pot off and let the pot cool for just a couple of minutes before adding the garlic. Add the garlic and stir letting the residual heat cook it.
Now add the beef, broth, tomato sauce, dark red kidney beans, light red kidney beans, fire-roasted tomatoes, chili powder, ground cumin, cocoa powder, smoked paprika, brown sugar, red pepper flakes, and ground cayenne. Seal the instant pot and pressure cook on high pressure for about 20 minutes. Press the quick release and remove the lid. Season with kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste.
Helpful recipe tips
- Ground turkey, ground chicken, or ground pork can be substituted for the ground beef.
- Drain and rinse the kidney beans to remove excess salt and lower the overall sodium content of the chili.
- Other beans to consider using are pinto beans and black beans.
- If the chili becomes too thick simply add a little more beef broth.
- Add fresh minced jalapeno, chipotle chilis in adobo sauce, or more cayenne pepper for a little extra kick.
- Adding cocoa powder to your chili does not make it taste like chocolate. In fact, it makes it richer with more depth of flavor from the other spices. We absolutely love it.
- For an extra special treat serve over spaghetti or elbow macaroni.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- Freeze for up to 3 months in a freezer zipper bag or sturdy freezer container. Thaw in the fridge overnight and reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop.
Favorite Chili Topping
- Sliced green onions
- Chopped cilantro
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
- Sour Cream
- Pickled jalapenos
- Diced tomatoes
- Lime wedges
- Chopped avocado
More instant pot recipes!
Instant Pot Beef Chili
This Instant Pot Chili recipe is so full of flavor from crisp bacon, cocoa powder, fire-roasted tomatoes, smoked paprika, brown sugar, and garlic. Ready in about 40 minutes this is going to become your new favorite weeknight chili.
- Prep Time: 2 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 37 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings
- Category: main meal beef
- Method: instant pot
- Cuisine: American
- ½ tablespoon vegetable oil
- 6 slices bacon
- 1 ½ lb. ground beef or ground turkey
- 1 large yellow onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups low sodium beef broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (15 ounce) can dark red kidney beans rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can light red kidney beans rinsed and drained
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can fire roasted tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cayenne
- Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Turn the instant pot to sauté and add just a thin coating of vegetable oil. Once hot add the bacon and cook until the bacon is crisp. Add the ground beef cooking until it is about halfway browned breaking it up with a spatula or spoon as it cooks.
- Once the beef is halfway browned add the onion and continue cooking until the beef is browned and the onions are soft. Turn the instant pot off and let the pot cool for just a couple of minutes before adding the garlic. Add the garlic and stir and letting the residual heat cook it.
- Add the beef, broth, tomato sauce, dark red kidney beans, light red kidney beans, fire roasted tomatoes, chili powder, ground cumin, cocoa powder, smoked paprika, brown sugar, red pepper flakes, and ground cayenne.
- Seal the instant pot and pressure cook on high pressure for 20 minutes. Press the quick release and remove the lid. Season with kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste.
Keywords: instant pot chili recipe, how to make chili in an instant pot, how long to cook chili in an instant pot
On the hunt for more delicious recipes? Follow Small Town Woman on Facebook, Pinterest, and Instagram.https://www.smalltownwoman.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/Beth-1.pdf
recipe looks so delicous ,crockpotwould be low 6to 8 and stove top? thanka in advice..Debbie
Yes on the crock pot. On the stovetop simmer for 45 minutes up to 2 hours
Nothing like warming up with a hot bowl of chili, and this was no exception! So hearty and delicious; a true comfort food, indeed!
I’ve been looking for more Instapot recipes and I’m definitely adding this one to my list! The fact that it only takes 30 minutes (roughly) to cook is so exciting since I work all day!
I just bought an instant pot and found this recipe and boy am I glad I did! This chili was delicious! Thanks for sharing!
The pleasure is all mine Joyce!
We had this chili for dinner last night and it was incredible! So flavorful and easy to make!
Thanks, Tayler! So glad that you liked it!
That’s my idea of a delicious one pot meal. I love the flavors and how easy it is to make.
yummy. i love how you added bacon to this Instant Pot Chili
This looks heavenly! My family will love the bacon in the mix too. So tasty!
I made this chili for dinner last night and my whole family loved it. Thanks so much for sharing!
My pleasure, Tayler! So glad that you enjoyed it!
I never would have thought to use cocoa powder in chili. Can’t wait to try it out. Thanks for the great recipe.
This was hearty, spicy, filling, and totally delicious! It tasted great with some cornbread!
Thanks! I am so glad that you liked it!
Love a good hearty chili, and this IP version does NOT disappoint! Will totally be making this again.
Thanks, Dana! I am so glad that you liked it!
This is the perfect season for chili. It’s even better to make it in the Instant Pot!
Looks absolutely fantastic! I need to make this soon!
This chili is the best! And I love that its so easy to make in an instant pot!
I love chili this time of the year and I cannot wait to make some in my instant pot. Great idea!
So easy, and so packed full of flavor. Last night was kind of chilly so it was perfect.