This super easy rich and flavorful Mushroom Gravy comes together with six ingredients in less than thirty minutes. I love to serve it over meatloat, steak, pork chops, mashed potatoes, biscuits, or egg noodles. You are going to love this wholesome hearty gravy.
Are you and yours big mushroom fans? Chances are pretty good that you are or you would not be on this post. My family and I just love mushrooms! I love white button, cremini, shiitakes, porcini and portobello mushrooms. In fact I can’t think of a mushroom that I don’t like. Have you tried any of my other mushroom recipes? Mushroom Risotto, Crab Stuffed Mushrooms, Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms with Bruschetta, and this recipe are just a few of our favorites.
How to make Mushroom Gravy
Start by melting a little butter in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the mushrooms and cook until browned stirring several times. Then reduce the heat and add the garlic and thyme cooking for about 1 minute stirring constantly. Next sprinkle with flour and continue cooking for a few minutes stirring continuously. Slowly add the beef stock stirring to combine. Simmer for about 10 minutes. Finally season with fresh cracked black pepper and salt to taste.
What kind of mushrooms are best for Mushroom Gravy
- White Button
- Cremini or Baby Bella
Recipe notes and tips
- Use fresh mushrooms free of blemishes with a firm smooth appearance and good color.
- You can substitute beef broth or vegetable stock. If using broth instead of stock use the low or no sodium choice.
- If you have an open bottle of good tasting red wine like a Merlot of a Cabernet add a couple of tablespoons at the same time as the stock. I just don’t want you to have to go buy a bottle of wine and be obligated to drink the rest.
- This gravy warms up well on the stovetop or in the moicrowave at a reduced power.
- I like to add a few extra mushrooms but I am a huge mushroom lover.
A quck and easy Mushroom Gravy that the whole family can enjoy with meatloat, steak, mashed potatoes, rice, or biscuits.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: sauce
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- 1/4 cup butter
- 16 ounces mushrooms sliced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 cups beef stock (or beef broth or vegetable stock)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add mushrooms and cook for about 7-10 minutes or until all the liquid has evaporated and they are lightly browed. Stir several times. Reduce the heat and add the garlic and thyme; cooking 1 minute stirring constantly.
- Sprinkle with flour and continue cooking for 2-3 minutes stirring constantly. Slowly add the beef stock stirring to combine. Simmer for 10-15 minutes or until thickened
- Season with salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste.
Keywords: how to make mushroom gravy, mushroom gravy for steak, brown mushroom gravy