You are going to love my easy Strawberry Shortcake Recipe! You just can’t go wrong when it comes to beautiful sweet juicy strawberries, fresh homemade biscuits and fresh whipped cream. This recipe is a family favorite and perfect for a sweet spring or summer dessert.
It is almost strawberry season here. We have strawberries available to us year round here but I think they get a little sweeter this time of the year. This delectable Strawberry Shortcake Recipe brings out the all the amazing flavors that this sun ripened fruit has to offer.
My Strawberry Shortcake is sure to please with plenty of fresh berry taste. It is lightly sweetened for those of us who enjoy a scrumptious treat every now and then but don’t want all that added sugar. This delectable recipe was inspired by my late sweet Mother In Law Betty. Betty grew up in the depression era with eight brothers and sisters. Her parents quickly learned how to make a dollar spread. She took those lessons of frugality into her own family. They would grow strawberries in the garden in the summer and for special treats she would slice them, sprinkle with sugar and serve over warm biscuits.
How do you make Easy Strawberry Shortcake Recipe?
A little advanced preparation is necessary for this recipe. First combine your cut strawberries and sugar and let them sit for a couple of hours. This brings out the sweetness and makes a little strawberry syrup.
Whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Now grate your well chilled butter with the large end of a box grater. Stir in the butter and slowly stir in the buttermilk until a rough ball forms. roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface to about one half inch thickness. Cut with standard biscuit cutter or round glass. Bake on parchment covered back sheets until lightly browned.
Chill the bowl and beaters for the whipped cream. Add whipped cream and powdered sugar and beat until stiff peaks form. Now mash half of the strawberries in the syrup with an old fashioned potato masher. Finally split the biscuits and top with the strawberry mixture and whipped cream.
Helpful tips for making Strawberry Shortcake Recipe
- Use fresh strawberries for this recipe as they maintain their shape better.
- If you prefer you can add the dry ingredients for the biscuits to a food processor, pulse a couple of times and then add the butter one tablespoon at a time pulsing between each tablespoon.
- Do not over mix your biscuit dough as it may become tough if over-mixed. On the flip side make sure the flour is incorporated into the milk.
- For buttery biscuits roll out once. Roll and fold four times for flaky biscuits.
- Do not twist when cutting the biscuits as it can inhibit the edges from rising high.
- Place your biscuits close together with edges touching. This helps enable them to rise taller.
- A reader of mine said that she cuts her biscuits in squares to avoid rolling and cutting. I am looking forward to trying this in the near future.
So for all you strawberry lovers and lovers of all things natural there is nothing in here but honest to goodness gifts from God and the earth. That being said they are scrumptious and so flavor packed. My mouth is watering again just thinking about them.
Other strawberry recipes you will love!
- Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble
- Strawberry Pancakes with Strawberry Sauce
- Fresh Creamy Strawberry Lush Cake
This post was originally published April 23, 2017 and was republished April 4, 2019 with new content.Print
Strawberry Shortcake Recipe
This easy Strawberry Shortcake Recipe combines beautiful sweet juicy strawberries, buttery homemade biscuits and fresh whipped cream.
- Prep Time: 25
- Cook Time: 15
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 12 servings 1x
- Category: dessert
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
- 2 lbs strawberries hulled and sliced
- 1/4 –1/2 cup sugar (depending on taste)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter (well chilled)
- 3/4 cup cold buttermilk
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- In medium sized bowl combine strawberries and sugar. Let sit for 1-3 hours. The sugar brings out the natural juices in the strawberries.
- In another medium bowl whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Grate your chilled butter with the large end of a box grater. Stir in the butter and add the buttermilk slowly until rough ball forms. Roll out dough onto lightly floured surface to about 1/2 inch thickness. Cut with standard biscuit cutter or round drinking glass. Bake at 450 degrees on parchment covered baking sheets for 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Chill bowl and beaters for 20-25 minutes. Add whipped cream and powdered sugar and beat until stiff peaks form. Do not over beat. This can take from 1 to several minutes.
- Using an old style potato masher mash half of the strawberries. Split biscuits, top with strawberries and whipped cream.
This recipes makes about 9-12 thick biscuits.
Keywords: best strawberry shortcake recipe, strawberry shortcake biscuit recipe, easy strawberry shortcake recipe