These scrumptious Funnel Cakes are so easy to make. You can bring the carnival home to your kitchen anytime. These fun crispy treats have never tasted so good straight out of the pan and sprinkled with powdered sugar. Surprise the little ones today with all those fond summer fair memories.
Some food can be so darn nostalgic and fair food certainly falls into that category. It brings back such wonderful memories of good times with friends and family going on amusement rides, listening to good music, playing ring toss, and skee-ball. And let’s not forget the delicious fair ground food. Corn Dogs, Navajo Tacos, and Blooming Onions are just a few of our family favorites.
How to make Funnel Cakes
First in a large bowl whisk together the milk, eggs, and vanilla. Then in another bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Now add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients whisking until the mixture is smooth and combined.
Next in a medium sized heavy pan heat oil to 375 degrees. Pour batter into a measuring cup with a spout. Slowly drizzle about 1/2 cup of the mixture into the hot oil in a circular motion and then crisscrossing to connect them. Cook until brown on the bottom (less than 2 minutes). Then flip and brown the other side. Next remove to paper towels to drain and then sprinkle with powdered sugar. For best results serve warm. See full recipe instructions below.
Recipe notes and helpful tips
- To measure the flour spoon it into the measuring cup and level it off with the back of a table knife.
- When the batter is dropped into the oil the funnel cake will naturally take on the shape and size of the pan you are frying it in. So keep that in mind when choosing a pan. I use an 8 inch pot for these.
- Use a measuring cup with a spout (see picture above) or a thin funnel that flows fairly slow. The measuring cup with a spout is much easier and less messy.
- A candy thermometer attached to the side of the pot will help you control the temperature of the oil. The oil rises when there is nothing in the pot and drops when you add the batter. Turn up or down the heat to try to maintain a somewhat constant oil temperature. A little bump up or down works best.
- Don’t get too wrapped up in the drizzling process. A slow steady drizzle in circles followed by a crisscross pattern connecting those circles together is all you need. Somehow it all seems to work out just fine without working too hard on it.
- For best results I recommend using the batter soon after mixing it however I have had good results using it up to 24 hours after mixing it. Always store the batter in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Funnel Cake Toppings
- Sugar – powdered sugar or cinnamon sugar
- Fresh fruit and whipped cream – strawberries, blueberries, blackberries or raspberries
- Ice cream – vanilla, chocolate, or strawberry
- Sauce – chocolate or caramel
- Other toppings – sprinkles, toasted coconut, chopped chocolate, chopped pecans, chopped walnuts
More sweets you will love!Print
These fun and easy Funnel Cakes are crispy, hot, and delicious! Better than any fair cakes these are made right in the confines of your own kitchen in less than twenty minutes.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 4 cakes 1x
- Category: dessert
- Method: fried
- Cuisine: American
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- vegetable oil for frying
- In a large bowl whisk together the milk, eggs, and vanilla. In another bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients whisking until the mixture is smooth and combined.
- In a medium sized heavy pan heat oil to 375 degrees. Pour batter into a measuring cup with a spout. Slowly drizzle about 1/2 cup of the mixture into the hot oil in a circular motion and then crisscrossing to connect them. Cook until brown on the bottom (less than 2 minutes). Flip and brown the other side.
- Remove to paper towels to drain and then sprinkle with powdered sugar. For best results serve warm.
Keywords: how to make funnel cake, funnel cake recipe, easy funnel cake