Roasted Parsnips are a flavor packed easy side that comes together in a matter of minutes. All the ingredients are shaken together in one disposable zipper top bag. Even my picky son loves these parsnips. We love to serve this delectable vegetable with Balsamic Vinegar Barbecue Ribs or Chicken Scallopini
Finding new delicious sides that your family will love can be a challenging feat. These delicious Roasted Parsnips will ease that challenge. You can have these parsnips prepped and in the oven in less than ten minutes. They go with so many main courses that you really can’t go wrong.
What are parsnips?
The parsnip is a root vegetable that is closely related to the carrot although more of a cream color than an orange color. Though they look like a carrot they do not taste like one. Although they are somewhat sweet like a carrot especially after being roasted. Roasting brings out the natural sugar and caramelizes them. To me they are more earthy and slightly nuttier than carrots. It is definitely a tastes that is hard to describe and one that you must experience for yourself.
In most grocery stores you will find the parsnips prepackaged in bags usually close to the carrots. Look for the bags with the smaller thinner parsnips as they are a little younger and a little tastier and more tender.
How do you make Roasted Parsnips?
First trim and peel your parsnips. You can cut them into rounds or stick style or a combination. You want to try to get them to almost uniform thickness so they cook evenly. Now throw all the cut parsnips in a large zipper storage bag. Add the olive oil olive, dried oregano, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, dried basil, marjoram and crushed red pepper.
Spread in a single layer on a parchment covered baking sheet. You want a little space between the cut parsnips so the heat can get down there and brown them. Cook until golden brown and serve as soon as possible.
Tips for making Roasted Parsnips
- If available choose parsnips that are smaller and thinner as they are the younger more tender and flavorful ones.
- Try to cut the parsnips in uniform thickness so they cook evenly.
- For ease of clean up place everything in a large zipper storage bag and shake to coat.
- Spread in a single layer on parchment paper with a little space between them so the heat can flow through.
- Flip halfway through the roasting process to ensure that both sides brown.
Other vegetable recipes you will love!
- Bacon Wrapped Asparagus
- Southern Green Beans
- Grilled Vegetable Salad
- Creamed Peas and Pearl Onions
- Grilled Mushrooms
Roasted Parsnips are a flavor packed easy side that comes together in a matter of minutes. All the ingredients are shaken together in one disposable zipper top bag.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 30
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: vegetable
- Method: stove
- Cuisine: American
- 2 lbs parsnips trimmed peeled and cut into rounds or sticks that are 1/3 inch thick
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon marjoram
- 2 pinches crushed red pepper (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Add parsnips, olive oil, dried oregano, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, dried basil, marjoram and crushed red pepper to a large Ziploc zipper bag. Shake to coat.
- Spread in a single layer on a parchment covered baking sheet. Cook for 30 minutes or until golden brown; flipping halfway. Serve promptly.
Keywords: roasted parsnips, roasted vegetable, vegetable, parsnips recipe, recipe using parsnips